[Mongrel] Why Rails + mongrel_cluster + load balancing doesn'twork for us and the beginning of a solution

Paul Butcher paul at paulbutcher.com
Wed Sep 20 16:18:20 EDT 2006

Jens Kraemer <kraemer at webit.de> wrote:
> However, if I limit *one* of the mongrels to 1 connection at a time, I get
> this:
> pen -fdnr 9000 localhost:9001:1 localhost:9002
> Fast: 59
> Slow: 6

That's interesting! Thanks. I did try a similar configuration of
mod_proxy_balancer, but it didn't have the same effect. Maybe I'll play with
Pen some more...

> So maybe, if the slow actions are well known, one could just reserve a
> pool of Mongrels for these slow actions, and another one for the fast
> ones...

We did consider this approach. It "feels wrong" to us though, and as I said
in my response to Zed's mail, for our application at least it's not always
possible to identify "slow" actions ahead of time :-(

Thanks for the information though!

Snetterton, Castle Combe, Cadwell Park...
Who says I have a one track mind?

MSN: paul at paulbutcher.com
AIM: paulrabutcher
Skype: paulrabutcher