[Mongrel] Why Rails + mongrel_cluster + load balancing doesn't work for us and the beginning of a solution

Zed Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Wed Sep 20 15:21:27 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-09-20 at 11:18 +0100, Paul Butcher wrote:

First off, it's awesome that you're writing a solution to your problem.
Very cool and looks like it didn't take you much.  Maybe I'll work up
something in C that does this since it's a common requested solution.

> This is causing us real problems. Our user interface is very time-sensitive.
> For common user actions, a page refresh delay of more than a couple of
> seconds is unacceptable.

But, if your interface is time sensitive then why does it have actions
that take too much time?  See the conundrum there?

>  What we're finding is that if we have (say) a
> reporting page which takes 10 seconds to display (an entirely acceptable
> delay for a rarely-used report) ....<snip>

See, right there.  "reporting" is usually a goldmine for stuff you can
push out to a backgroundrb processors.  The best pattern here is not
"ok, let's write a load balancer in ruby so all processes are as fast as
one ruby process" but instead to redesign that rails action to use

This will get you over the hump, but you'll seriously have to look at
carving those unpredictable actions out and making them shorter.