[Mongrel] Mongrel and Sandbox

why the lucky stiff why at ruby-lang.org
Tue Sep 19 14:03:44 EDT 2006

On Sat, Sep 16, 2006 at 03:19:38PM -0700, Zed Shaw wrote:
> Yep, well for _why it's at least to run multiple separated camping apps,
> but Rails is the holy grail for sure.

Yes, I can now run Rails, Camping, Nitro, &c, &c, together in the same Mongrel.
But the passing of the request into Rails is slow.  It's very hacked right now,
but I'm working on it now.

 * My edited mongrel_rails cycles through a directory, scanning for Rails apps
   and Camping apps, mounting what it can.
 * RailsDispatcher is edited to load the app inside a sandbox.
 * Also, I circumvent use of the Mongrel CGIWrapper, so I can pass the HTTP
   request string into the app and get back a response string.  (It's just
   easier to pass strings between sandboxes rather than objects -- until I
   get a better proxy going between them.)

I'm not sure where this stuff is going to go.  I think maybe I'll make a dogbox
gem or something that does all that until we're sure if it's really suitable for

Right now memory consumption is bad, but that's because Rails is loaded
separately for each app.  Once that's fixed, this is will be even more smart
and/or stupid.