[Mongrel] [ANN] Finally! Mongrel Official (for Unix)

Charles Brian Quinn me at seebq.com
Mon Sep 18 11:04:40 EDT 2006

Great work Zed, thanks for releasing this!

on separate versioning:
The flip-side to separate versioning is that you can write a script to
automagically install everything for a new rails setup and not be
prompted for the version of mongrel in the middle of your massive,
long-running install script....  I believe.

As for where to see mongrel go (at least on the rails side), I concur
with simplicity.  I'm thinking

RAILS_ROOT/script/server mongrel

starts mongrel on port 3000

and depdending on changing your own RAILS_ROOT/conf/mongrel.conf,
starts up 1 or 5, prefixes, and all that other jazz, but is defaulted
to start one on 3000 -- and you handle the load-balancing with
whatever you want externally be it apache2 or nginx or pound or pen or
lighttpd (mod_proxy_core).

Of course this doesn't really help the other cool uses of mongrel and
is a ruby/rails-centric view, but that's just me.