[Mongrel] [ANN] Finally! Mongrel 0.3.13.4 Official (for Unix)

Neil Wilson neil at aldur.co.uk
Mon Sep 18 06:43:38 EDT 2006

Thanks for your effort on this Zed. I certainly appreciate what you are
doing and the effort you put into Mongrel.

Is it time to step back and consider what Mongrel is about? Is it the
wrapper around Rails (in which case couldn't it be a lot simpler. Automatic
cluster and eliminate the thread code so that Mongrel simply refuses
connections if the dispatcher is operational)? Or do you intend that it
should be more than that?

I think Mongrel feels more complex than it used to do. I'd certainly like to
see a degree of abstraction coming in that hides the complexity for the
majority case - which I still hope is launching Rails apps in a Ruby driven
application server probably as a cluster of separate processes and
front-ended by one of the web servers - Apache for want of a lighter
alternative that works.

You can buy raw execution speed - that's relatively cheap. What the web and
application systems need to take away, IMHO, are the problems of running web
applications, ie deal with overloading, provide monitoring, and sort
out memory leaks and databases getting stuck.

What I want, and probably many others, is an application stack that takes
away all the problems of deploying web-apps - much as Rails takes away all
the problems of writing them. All this vision stuff is much wider than just
Mongrel - but I certainly see Mongrel as being part of the solution whatever
that ends up being.

What does the dog want to grow up to be?

--
Neil Wilson (neil at aldur.co.uk)