[Mongrel] [ANN] Finally! Mongrel Official (for Unix)

Zed Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Mon Sep 18 05:26:41 EDT 2006

Hello!  Today I'm announcing a "soft but official" release of Mongrel for the Unix fans in the crowd.  It's been running stable for
quite some time now for many people, and should be great for nearly

You can read the announce at:

This release includes new versions of mongrel_upload_progress and

As usual you install it using:

 gem install mongrel

And I'm really really sorry about the forty thousand gems that get
listed.  I promise to drive one of the RubyGems guys into a corner until
they help me clean that mess out.

*Win32* people will be able to upgrade in the next week or so.

Coming soon... it's lots of stuff.

In the past I've held up Mongrel releases in order to get win32 working
well, but now we'll do a separate release when win32 is done and most
likely give it a slightly different version number like the mysql folks

This should let us get releases out to both parties as they're stable.

BTW, all you folks who really like Mongrel on win32 might want to
consider pitching in and at least learning how to build the gem and test
it.  That way when a Unix release comes out you can give us feedback and
possibly help with the release engineering.

Contact me off-list if you're interested.

I've been experimenting with lots of weird little ideas and going
through various potential moves for the future of Mongrel. Let me know
what you'd like in Mongrel.  Some of my top hit list items are:

* A "mostly C" version for Unix only that's fast as blazes.
* Getting rid of mongrel_cluster and working on a complete unified
system that properly manages a set of Ruby interpreters.  Contemplating
working this out so that win32 also gets a similar setup.
* Is anyone else tired of 10_000 ways to deploy Mongrel?  Maybe work on
developing "the one true way" with all the others being a optional
setups, and working on making this TOTW damn easy.
* Nginx module?  Why nginx?  Because I can read nginx code.  Sad that I
can read a Russian's code better than the Apache code and that his
configuration file format is way better.
* Get with the ServerSide fellow and talk about a merger since that
thing is damn fast.
* Certificates for all the newly minted MUDCRAP-CE graduates!

What else would people like to see worked on, and what are you all
willing to help with?