[Mongrel] Running some code right before the app is available to users

Pedro Côrte-Real pedro at pedrocr.net
Tue Sep 12 05:45:00 EDT 2006

> The port may be open but Mongrel isn't processing any requests.  They
> should queue up in the OS and then when rails is loaded Mongrel will
> process them.

Yes, but that's the problem. I run an apache proxying to mongrel and
when mongrel is down it shows a custom error page saying that the app
is not available. If mongrel starts listening on the port apache will
try to connect and hang there until it timeouts instead of giving the
error page to the user. Since mongrel can't process any requests it
would make more sense to only start listening on the port after rails
boots.

Pedro.