[Mongrel] Recommendation: Is Apache Really Serving Files?

Zed Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Mon Sep 11 18:15:31 EDT 2006

Hi All,

I've been running into quite a few people who've claimed that they have
Apache (or lighttpd) serving static files, but then they paste in error
messages from Mongrel that shows not only Mongrel not serving the files,
but Rails is serving them.

Everyone using apache should run this very simple test:

1) Setup your apache so that it point at one backend.
2) Start your application with:  mongrel_rails start -e production -B
3) Hit a a few static files of different types that should be served by

If you see messages like this: - [Mon, 11 Sep 2006 22:09:31 GMT] "GET /index.html HTTP/1.1" - [Mon, 11 Sep 2006 22:09:32 GMT]
"GET /javascripts/prototype.js HTTP/1.1" - [Mon, 11 Sep 2006 22:09:33 GMT] "GET /javascripts/effects.js
HTTP/1.1" - [Mon, 11 Sep 2006 22:09:34 GMT] "GET /images/rails.png

In the console where Mongrel is running then your Apache setup isn't
working and you're getting nowhere near the performance you could be

If this is the case, please send me your mode_rewrite rules and any
proxy directives **off list** and tell me where you got them.

Zed A. Shaw