[Mongrel] mongrel proxies waiting endlessly

hemant gethemant at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 04:40:21 EDT 2006

<snip>

> Hmmm, that is only there if there is no X_FORWARDED_FOR header from a
> proxy server and Mongrel has to resolve the host.  It means you have a
> poorly setup DNS server that can't resolve fast enough so the process is
> getting stuck.
>
> How are is your proxy setup?

</snip>

Now this is weird...here I am talking about standalone mongrel
server...which is not proxied through apache. I access the page..manually
through the IP address  and port (*just for development though*).

Basically, all my server and rails code is there on a Ubuntu machine and  we
access(*use*) it through a Windows Machine.

Anyway, I also have the mongrel cluster setup on the same machine, which
runs in production mode and is proxied through Apache.
My Proxy Configuration is, pretty default one suggested by Coda and Philip:

<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerAdmin info at foobar.com
    DocumentRoot /var/www/webfront/public
    ServerName foobar.com
    ServerAlias *.foobar.com
  <Directory /var/www/webfront/public>
    Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
  </Directory>
  RewriteEngine On

  # Make sure people go to www.myapp.com, not myapp.com
  RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^foobar.com$ [NC]
  RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.foobar.com$1 [R=301,L]
  # Yes, I've read no-www.com, but my site already has much Google-Fu on
  # www.blah.com. Feel free to comment this out.

  # Uncomment for rewrite debugging
  #RewriteLog logs/myapp_rewrite_log
  #RewriteLogLevel 9
  #ProxyPass / balancer://mongrel_cluster
  #ProxyPassReverse / balancer://mongrel_cluster
  ProxyPreserveHost On
  # Check for maintenance file and redirect all requests
  RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/system/maintenance.html -f
  RewriteCond %{SCRIPT_FILENAME} !maintenance.html
  RewriteRule ^.*$ /system/maintenance.html [L]

  # Rewrite index to check for static
  RewriteRule ^/$ /index.html [QSA]

  # Rewrite to check for Rails cached page
  RewriteRule ^([^.]+)$ $1.html [QSA]

  # Redirect all non-static requests to cluster
  RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/%{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
  RewriteRule ^/(.*)$ balancer://mongrel_cluster%{REQUEST_URI} [P,QSA,L]

  # Deflate
  AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html text/plain text/xml
application/xml application/xhtml+xml text/javascript text/css
  BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4 gzip-only-text/html
  BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4.0[678] no-gzip
  BrowserMatch bMSIE !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html

  # Uncomment for deflate debugging
  #DeflateFilterNote Input input_info
  #DeflateFilterNote Output output_info
  #DeflateFilterNote Ratio ratio_info
  #LogFormat '"%r" %{output_info}n/%{input_info}n (%{ratio_info}n%%)'
deflate
  #CustomLog logs/myapp_deflate_log deflate
</VirtualHost>