[Mongrel] Mass virtual hosting with mongrel

Zed Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Fri Sep 8 18:24:33 EDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-08 at 14:49 -0700, John Clayton wrote:
> Ok, I realize this thread should really be called "hosting
> differently configured instances of the same app in a single mongrel
> instance", but that doesn't read as well ;-)
> I have looked over the source code for Mongrel and the various
> adaptations and it looks like it's not too hard to add my own classes
> that extend mongrel in the same ways as the rails and camping classes
> do, by writing my own config and handler classes.
> I think this is the right way to do this but I'd love to hear opinions.

Yep, Mongrel's designed to be easily modified and extended, and to make
it easy to distribute your extensions using the GemPlugin system.  Just
pack you stuff in a gem and tell people how to wire it up in a -S

You'll want to read through http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/rdoc/ (which
closely follows the pre-releases) and to look at the various handlers in

You'll be much more closer to the bare metal, but you'll have more
control and the ability to make things as fast as possible.

Zed A. Shaw