[Mongrel] Multiple rails apps with Mongrel

zer0halo zerohalo at gmail.com
Fri Sep 8 13:17:48 EDT 2006

On 9/8/06, Joey Geiger <jgeiger at gmail.com> wrote:
> ProxyPass /app1
> ProxyPassReverse /app1
> You need to have the proxy pass the new directory name.

Victory! That was the missing piece. I had my ProxyPass as localhost:3000
instead of localhost:3000/app1. Zed, I guess that's what you meant earlier
-- sorry, I'm not that smart and didn't catch it the first time around.

I think it would be very helpful to have a how-to on this in the Mongrel
documentation (or at least the Rails Wiki -- I'll try to add a page there),
for the sake of other poor souls. The solution was simple, but like with
many things in Rails, for those of us not "in the know" it's not always

As a side comment, it would be great if someone wrote a book on Rails
deployment, as that seems to stump a lot of people (including a long-time
PHP coder friend of mine who I convinced to try Rails, which he did and
found the "joy of development" but also experienced the "pain of
deployment"), and is a stumbling-block to Rails adoption. There is info out
there but it takes a lot of digging, googling, asking on mailing lists, etc.
Some solid documentation covering various platforms and situations would be
a God-send, I think.

Thanks very much to all on this list who helped me with this.

"Impossible is nothing."