[Mongrel] Multiple rails apps with Mongrel

Zed Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Fri Sep 8 12:27:25 EDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-08 at 10:26 -0500, zer0halo wrote:

> Zed, first off, thanks for writing/releasing mongrel. Terrific app --
> filled a dire need.
> I had read the How-To page and thought of the --prefix option, but I
> have the latest mongrel gem install (just did and update now to be
> sure) and it doesn't recognize the --prefix option or list i with
> start -h.

Yeah, you need the pre-release, which was going to get released as
official but I decided to try and fix up the naming clashes for people

You can install the pre-release with:

gem install mongrel --source=http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/releases/

And it's not built for win32 yet.

> If I can get the --prefix command working (I guess with the next
> release?), what does Apache need in that case? To summarize this
> thread, I'm trying to run multiple rails apps, each running their own
> instance of mongrel (or cluster), on the same domain, ie.
> http://domain/app1, http://domain/app2. I've been told to use
> ProxyPass in Apache to redirect from the mongrel port (ie, 3000) to
> port 80, but as you can see from the thread, it's not working.

I believe that you just have to make sure the URI path
(/app2/controller/action) gets passed back to the mongrel server as-is.
Don't rewrite it, just route it.

If you're not sure what apache is sending mongrel, run one mongrel with
-B and go look at the log/mongrel_debug/files.log and
log/mongrel_debug/rails.log for clues.

Zed A. Shaw