[Mongrel] Multiple rails apps with Mongrel

zer0halo zerohalo at gmail.com
Fri Sep 8 11:26:00 EDT 2006

> > One possibility that no one else seems to have mentioned yet is the
> > `--prefix' option that's coming out in the release [1].  I'm
> > using this successfully to run multiple apps under a single domain
> > with no modifications to Rails code.
> >
> > HTH,
> >
> > /Nick
> >
> > [1] http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/docs/howto.html
> Quick correction Nick, you don't need to modify Rails code as long as
> you slavishly utilize all the URL related helpers (like link_to()).  If
> you had any hand coded links then those will have to change.
Zed, first off, thanks for writing/releasing mongrel. Terrific app -- filled
a dire need.

I had read the How-To page and thought of the --prefix option, but I have
the latest mongrel gem install (just did and update now to be sure) and it
doesn't recognize the --prefix option or list i with start -h.

If I can get the --prefix command working (I guess with the next release?),
what does Apache need in that case? To summarize this thread, I'm trying to
run multiple rails apps, each running their own instance of mongrel (or
cluster), on the same domain, ie. http://domain/app1, http://domain/app2.
I've been told to use ProxyPass in Apache to redirect from the mongrel port
(ie, 3000) to port 80, but as you can see from the thread, it's not working.

"Impossible is nothing."