[Mongrel] Multiple rails apps with Mongrel

zer0halo zerohalo at gmail.com
Fri Sep 8 10:57:46 EDT 2006

On 9/7/06, Alexander Kabanov <shurikk at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1. in config/routes.rb insert line
> ActionController::AbstractRequest.relative_url_root = "/app1"
> 2. create a symlink in app1 "public": ln -s . app1
> 3. start mongrel or webrick
> ruby script/server OR
> mongrel_rails start -p 3000
> 4.  connect directly to the server (without proxy) and test your
> application
> http://domain:3000/app1/
> I'm 100% sure it will work
Thanks, Alex. I tried the above and it does work. If I point to
http://domain:3000/app1, my  app works perfectly.

However, when I turn on the ProxyPass in Apache to port 80, and then point

The app goes into an endless loop.

Checking the logs, my app is initially correctly being routed to my default
controller and method (ie: http://domain/app1/items/index). However when
method 'items' redirects to method 'view_list', the application routes to:

So basically it's not applying the /app1 prefix to all redirects.

Here's a log excerpt when I access my app1 home page (just relevent lines):

Processing ItemsController#index (for at 2006-09-08 09:55:10)
  Parameters: {"action"=>"index", "controller"=>"items"}
Redirected to http://domain/app1/items/view_list
Completed in 0.03146 (31 reqs/sec) | DB: 0.00549 (17%) | 302 Found [

As you can see, the last line is the problem - no app1

So it seems I'm still missing a step.

My settings in my apache conf are simple:

<VirtualHost *>
        DocumentRoot /var/www
   # the usual other settings <snip>

    ProxyPass /app1 http://localhost:3000