[Mongrel] How to setup a sweeper to restart stale or hung mongrel servers

Jared Brown jaredbrown at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 19:35:37 EDT 2006

What happens is the servers are waiting for their database request to come
back and are in a locked state so when mod_proxy_balancer sends a request
their way it gets queued and eventually apache times it out and returns a
proxy error.
So I am going to try and up the number of servers in the cluster and
increase the proxy pass through timeout. But I was also interested in what
the cluster does when a mongrel server is hung and gone stale and how it
gets detected and restarted.

On 9/7/06, Kirk Haines <wyhaines at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/7/06, Jared Brown <jaredbrown at gmail.com> wrote:
> > How do I setup a sweeper to restart stale or hung mongrel servers?
> If Mongel servers are hanging, doesn't that suggest some sort of very
> ungood bug somewhere, most likely in the application code somewhere?
> I know this doesn't answer your question, but a hanging server seems
> like it falls into the category of things that just should not happen,
> and that it'd be worthwhile to get to the bottom of why it is
> happening before working around the fact that it is happening.
> Kirk Haines

Jared Brown
jaredbrown at gmail.com
(765) 409-0875