[Mongrel] LiteSpeed

Zed Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Thu Sep 7 19:26:15 EDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-07 at 13:35 -0700, Joe Ruby wrote:
> Yo Zed,
> Just curious -- what do you think of the LiteSpeed
> server? Is it better than Lighty? Does it (gasp!) also
> serve Rails apps like Mongrel? I think I read that
> LiteSpeed doesn't have proxying support.

I think litespeed is good stuff.  I really want people who can't DIY
with Mongrel and need pointy-clicky setup to go to litespeed.  Or people
who need more commercial support.  I could even see people using Mongrel
for fast development, and then pumping it onto a litespeed for their
latest intranet app.

My problem with the litspeed team is that they keep focusing their
marketing on how fast litespeed is, but they should be focusing on how
easy litespeed is to use by comparison.  I'd be trying to sell it to
Win32 as a way to get IIS management simplicity from a web server on a
Unix platform.  Better yet, call the damn thing Litespeed Enterprise
Rails Application server and sell it for 10k/CPU.

You're probably laughing, but remember when I was joking about the
Mongrel 0.4 Enterprise Edition 1.2 release?  It was obviously a joke,
but I *still* got about 5 serious queries about it just because it had
Enterprise in the name.

Fact of the matter is most managers are morons barely aware of
technology, deathly afraid for their jobs, yet they're the ones buying
all the stuff.  They don't give a damn about req/sec, they care about
"Enterprise", "Commercial Support", and the fact that they can hire a
Junior Admin rather than Ezra to get their application running.

So if I can receive serious replies to a damn joke about an Enterprise
edition of Mongrel, imagine what a company actually seriously offering
an Enterprise Application Server could do?

Hopefully they can get their heads out of their ass and beat Sun to the

I'm betting everyone $0.01 that Sun has a Rails Enterprise Server by the
end of the year, or that one of their JCP Oligarchy partners claims
support for it.  You watch.

Funny thing is they'll be running Mongrel (unless Sun changes that up

Anyway, gonna be interesting.

Zed A. Shaw