[Mongrel] Multiple rails apps with Mongrel

zer0halo zerohalo at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 18:08:22 EDT 2006

Thanks, Bryan, I tried it and am partway there, but it's still not working.

http://domain/app1/controller/method

does run the method and display the view, but the images and stylesheets are
not loading (whether or not I have a ProxyPass for the images and
stylesheets as you have below - I tried both with and without.) Also all
links to other methods fail because ....

http://domain/app1/controller

redirects me to:

http://domain/controller

Which gives be an Apache 'page not found' error.

I presume that would be something to fix in routes.rb, but I tried a couple
of things and they didn't work.

Thanks for any help.

On 9/7/06, Bryan Thompson <bryan at galisys.com> wrote:

> I think this is basically how we're doing it.
>
> <Proxy balancer://app1balancer>
> BalancerMember http://127.0.0.1:6000
> BalancerMember http://127.0.0.1:6001
> BalancerMember http://127.0.0.1:6002
> BalancerMember http://127.0.0.1:6003
> BalancerMember http://127.0.0.1:6004
> </Proxy>
>
> <Proxy balancer://app2balancer>
> BalancerMember http://127.0.0.1:7000
> BalancerMember http://127.0.0.1:7001
> BalancerMember http://127.0.0.1:7002
> BalancerMember http://127.0.0.1:7003
> BalancerMember http://127.0.0.1:7004
> </Proxy>
>
> <VirtualHost *:80>
> ProxyPass /app1/images !
> ProxyPass /app1/stylesheets !
> #continue with other static files that should be served by apache
>
> ProxyPass /app2/images !
> ProxyPass /app2/stylesheets !
> #continue with other static files that should be served by apache
>
> Alias /app1/images /path/to/public/images
> Alias /app1/stylesheets /path/to/public/stylesheets
> #continue with aliases for static content
>
> Alias /app2/images /path/to/public/images
> Alias /app2/stylesheets /path/to/public/stylesheets
> #continue with aliases for static content
>
> ProxyPass /app1 balancer://app1balancer
> ProxyPass /app2 balancer://app1balancer
> </VirtualHost>
>
> Bryan
>
> On Sep 7, 2006, at 4:06 PM, zer0halo wrote:
>
> I'm trying to set up several different Rails apps on the same domain, each
> one running Mongrel. After reading all of the documentation, it's fairly
> clear how to use subdomains - create several Apache virtual hosts, each of
> which has a different ProxyPass and ProxyPassReverse command to redirect
> from different ports (ie, 3000, 3100), and then have each Mongrel instance
> (or cluster) set to the corresponding port (3000, 3100). [If this theory is
> incorrect, please let me know!]
>
> However, what I'm trying to acheive is to host them all under the same
> domain. In othe words, I would like to have
>
> www.domain.com/app1
> www.domain.com/app2
>
> I don't know how to acheive this. Do I make each of them Virtual Hosts,
> each with their own ProxyPass? (But I haven't been able to find any simple
> documentation online explaining how to set a Virtual Host at
> www.domain.com/app1 instead of app1.domain.com. I know fairly little about
> Apache.)
>
> I noticed in the Mongrel documentation mention of a --prefix command and I
> was wondering if that could be used to host multiple apps, but for one it's
> not clear how that ties in with Apache, and secondly, the latest version of
> mongrel_rails doesn't recognize that command.
>
> Any possibilities? Thank you.
>
> --
> "Impossible is nothing."

"Impossible is nothing."