[Mongrel] Multiple rails apps with Mongrel

zer0halo zerohalo at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 17:21:26 EDT 2006

if I was smart and knowledgeable enough I'm sure I could :-)
but I was hoping for a bit of a simpler solution.

Running multiple Rails apps on the same domain is something that in general
seems quite tough to do. I think this is an issue that needs resolving by
the rails-gods at some point as it could be hindrance to rails growth.
Otherwise it's easy to draw comparisons with PHP where you just stick your
apps in different folders under your Document Root (or use symlinks) and
voila. Don't get be wrong, I'm definitely a Rails fan, and this isn't meant
as a Rails vs PHP, but just pointing out something that is quite tricky in
Rails - a framework which thrives on simplicity. It seems it should be as
(relatively) straightforward as the rest of Rails is. Especially because
Rails lends itself to creating little apps that each do their own thing
well, but then at some point you want to combine them or mix and match, etc.

On 9/7/06, carmen <_ at whats-your.name> wrote:

> On Thu Sep 07, 2006 at 04:06:05PM -0500, zer0halo wrote:
> > I'm trying to set up several different Rails apps on the same domain,
> each
> > one running Mongrel. After reading all of the documentation, it's fairly
> > clear how to use subdomains - create several Apache virtual hosts, each
> of
> > which has a different ProxyPass and ProxyPassReverse command to redirect
> > from different ports (ie, 3000, 3100), and then have each Mongrel
> instance
> > (or cluster) set to the corresponding port (3000, 3100). [If this theory
> is
> > incorrect, please let me know!]
> >
> > However, what I'm trying to acheive is to host them all under the same
> > domain. In othe words, I would like to have
> >
> > www.domain.com/app1
> > www.domain.com/app2
>
> maybe you can hack the mongrel_rails script to setup a rails handler for
> each app? camping does it this way anyways

"Impossible is nothing."