[Mongrel] Multiple rails apps with Mongrel

zer0halo zerohalo at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 17:06:05 EDT 2006

I'm trying to set up several different Rails apps on the same domain, each
one running Mongrel. After reading all of the documentation, it's fairly
clear how to use subdomains - create several Apache virtual hosts, each of
which has a different ProxyPass and ProxyPassReverse command to redirect
from different ports (ie, 3000, 3100), and then have each Mongrel instance
(or cluster) set to the corresponding port (3000, 3100). [If this theory is
incorrect, please let me know!]

However, what I'm trying to acheive is to host them all under the same
domain. In othe words, I would like to have

www.domain.com/app1
www.domain.com/app2

I don't know how to acheive this. Do I make each of them Virtual Hosts, each
with their own ProxyPass? (But I haven't been able to find any simple
documentation online explaining how to set a Virtual Host at
www.domain.com/app1 instead of app1.domain.com. I know fairly little about
Apache.)

I noticed in the Mongrel documentation mention of a --prefix command and I
was wondering if that could be used to host multiple apps, but for one it's
not clear how that ties in with Apache, and secondly, the latest version of
mongrel_rails doesn't recognize that command.

Any possibilities? Thank you.

--
"Impossible is nothing."