[Mongrel] Mass virtual hosting with mongrel

Charles Brian Quinn me at seebq.com
Thu Sep 7 15:43:36 EDT 2006

And if this is the case, we just wrote something up on using this kind
of "subdomain" auth as part of a key -- all one app, serving up
different "content" / "dashboards" / "features":

http://cleanair.highgroove.com/articles/2006/08/14/simplied-subdomain-authentication-in-ruby-on-rails

The key is a DNS wildcard record:  *.yourdomain.com forwarded to the
main web/app server and rules for handling what it does.

I hope we didn't mangle your question too badly,

On 9/7/06, Kirk Haines <wyhaines at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/7/06, John Clayton <john at fivesquaresoftware.com> wrote:
>
> > How can one host multiple domains with mongrel? Assuming you are mass
> > vhosting and you also want the performance benefits of using mongrel ...
>
> If I remember right, you are looking at a situtation where you have a
> single application that will have a different look and feel applied,
> depending on the domain it is being served to, right?
>
> So couldn't you just set up your app to look at the SERVER_NAME and
> choose the theme for the content appropriately?
>
> Then you just setup your Apache vhosts and feel all the traffic into
> the same mongrel cluster, and you don't have to do anything at all at
> the Mongrel level, right?  You leave it to your app to be multidomain
> aware?
>
> What am I missing?
>

> Kirk Haines

Charles Brian Quinn