[Mongrel] Running two clusters side by side

Jared Brown jaredbrown at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 02:38:50 EDT 2006

I'm happy to announce that ChaCha.com a new search engine that debuted this
week and it runs on a mongrel cluster.

Warning, promo follows. :)
ChaCha.com is unlike any other search engine since it allows you to connect
to a "guide" with experience in the field(s) of knowledge you are searching
in. (Based on your keywords) Check it out at http://www.chacha.com

Now on to my question. How can I run two clusters side by side so that when
the site needs to be updated the new code can be deployed, then first one
cluster is restarted and then the other, thus preventing any downtime from
occuring? BTW: We are using mod_proxy_balancer to load balance between the
mongrel servers. I imagine I would have to disable the proxy pass through at
the same time, which would mean restarting apache several times. What is the
best way to do this on one server?

Thanks in advance.

Jared Brown