[Mongrel] Running multiple domains on one codebase, mongrel a good choice?

Jeroen Houben jeroen at supercool.nl
Thu Sep 7 01:45:51 EDT 2006

John Clayton wrote:
> We're working on rails application for a client that needs to be
> deployed under a variety of domain names and needs the ability to
> load custom configurations for the database, parts of the docroot,
> caching, etc. based on the site we're serving.  We use mongrel to
> host some other single domain apps and would like to do so here too.
> We'd like to not have to deploy the codebase multiple times either
> (since it's identical) so we're trying to figure out a way maybe to
> load each instance into mongrel with different params and then let
> the instance configure itself.
>
> Does anyone have experience using mongrel in this way or similar?

I'm using different custum environments for different sites. Zed gave me
that idea. I also have a mongrel_cluster.conf for each site that will
load the correct environment.

Then in my Apache vhost config I link the right site to the mongrel
instances.

I override a small method in rails to load assests from an site specific
location instead of just public/

HTH,

Jeroen