[Mongrel] Mongrel and umask for uploaded files

Jens Kraemer kraemer at webit.de
Wed Sep 6 04:25:21 EDT 2006

Hi!
On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 05:32:41PM -0400, Mike Garey wrote:
> So any files that are uploaded through my form are getting the following mode:
>
> -rw-------
>
> I need them to have:
>
> -rw-r--r--
>
> I've tried setting the umask in a script file called set_umask.rb as follows:
>
> File.umask(022)
>
> and then starting mongrel using:
>
> mongrel_rails start -m config/mime.types -S set_umask.rb
>
> but it doesn't seem to change the mode that the files are created
> with..  I've also tried putting "File.umask(022)' inside
> environment.rb but that doesn't make a difference.

I've had similar problems, in my case the umask I set was used when
uploading from Firefox/linux, but not when uploading from
Firefox/windows. Weird, but manually changing the permissions after
copying the file finally fixed this.

File.chmod(0644, self.path_to_file)
after the File.open line should do the trick for you.

Jens