[Mongrel] mongrel proxies waiting endlessly

Zed Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Mon Sep 4 20:08:37 EDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-09-05 at 05:30 +0530, hemant wrote:
> On 9/5/06, Zed Shaw <zedshaw at zedshaw.com> wrote:

> I was using killall -USR1, but in your recent post..i have seen that
> you have updated the pre-release server...and hence i update the
> mongrel gem and..i am debugging it again..
>
> Tue Sep 05 05:03:32 IST 2006: 0 threads sync_waiting
> for /images/tab_but_normal1.png, 4 still active in mongrel.
>
> So, what does the above line mean? 4 still active in mongrel? does it
> mean that 4 threads are waiting for this file?
>
> Does it mean..that for every file that is not found...in the rails
> application directory, mongrel threads wait?

It means that a request came in, it hit rails, there were 0 waiting for
rails, and there's still 4 "in mongrel".  These four are probably busy
sending a response.

What you don't want to see is:

Tue Sep 05 05:03:32 IST 2006: 980 threads sync_waiting
for /images/tab_but_normal1.png, 975 still active in mongrel.

Additionally, why in the world are you having Mongrel serve the files.
Please, please, please configure your apache correctly so that apache
serves the files and mongrel just does Rails.  You'd be way better off
just doing that.

--
Zed A. Shaw
http://www.zedshaw.com/