[Mongrel] balancer://mongrel_cluster

Kirk Haines wyhaines at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 14:24:02 EDT 2006

On 9/4/06, Kris Leech <krisleech at interkonect.com> wrote:
> Jeroen Houben wrote:

> >My understanding is that one mongrel can only handle one request at a
> >time. Therefore 3 mongrel can process 3 request simultaniously.
> >

> I see, and this is because Mongrel is not threaded, so its kind of like
> replicating threads by using whole instances.

Mongrel is threaded.  It will create a new thread for each connection.
 However, Rails does bad, unfriendly things when one tries to run
multiple threads of it at the same time.  So the Mongrel handler for
Rails synchronizes Rails calls so that only one runs at a time.  Thus,
to handle simultaneous Rails requests with Mongrel one needs more than
one Mongrel process.

Kirk Haines

Kirk Haines