[Mongrel] [ANN] Mongrel Pre-Release -- Docs and more Docs

Zed Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Sun Sep 3 15:34:34 EDT 2006

Hi Everyone,

Just want to get out another ping on the Mongrel pre-release saga.  I've
updated a bunch of the documentation to include documents people have
donated and to beef up the FAQ for most of the questions people have
asked over the past month.

gem install mongrel --source=http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/releases/

* Fixed memory leak by switching to Sync rather than Mutex (please don't
argue with me about this not being fixed unless you run Mongrel and
Rails and need my help).
* Slight change so that if a file is small then it'll be shot out
directly rather than sent in chunks.
* Removed a bunch of the debugging I added to find out what was causing
the stopping.
* Enhanced the USR1 logging (try killall -USR1 mongrel_rails to toggle).
It now reports numbers of threads waiting for each Rails request.  USE
* Minor clean-ups in API documentation.
* Improved site documentation:
  * FAQ http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/faq.html
  * Apache http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/docs/apache.html
  * Debian http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/docs/debian-sarge.html

Every time I say this it tends to get drowned out by a flame war, so
just to make sure:

1) Do not use pstore, and avoid anything that locks files like gdbm,
2) Mutex causes leaks in our tests, if you have leaks, try Sync.  People
who have leaks using Mutex and switch to Sync say the problem is fixed
for them too.
3) Make sure any 3rd party libraries you use are designed for use in
multiple processes.  This has caused many problems with people as well.

I'm going to go through the bug tracker one last time, resolve any
remaining issues, and if nobody reports any problems then I'm releasing tonight.  Do or die.

Come chat with me in the lingr room if you have problems.

Zed A. Shaw