[Mongrel] Application performance

Tim Perrett tperrett at butlerandtanner.com
Fri Sep 1 09:08:21 EDT 2006

Ok that's useful!! Its less the bandwidth im worried about (however you do
make a very very good point regarding that!) - im more concerned that the
application seems really really quick on my internal network, but is quite
slow when accessed internally. I just made the assumption that the more
requests the application could deliver the quicker the application was, so
that's what I was drawing a connection between that, however am I right in
saying that?

If im needing to boost performance how might one go about doing it?

Cheers

Tim

--------------------------

Not that it answer's your question directly but just offer the
perspective that

http://weblog.textdrive.com/article/73/sencers-caching-plugin-for-
textpattern-is-snazzy

PHP-MySQL based textpattern is "fast" at ~30 req/sec on a single
CPU'ed server.

And if we put the 35-38 req/sec in the context of how much you're
serving. Let's say that text+javascript+images+?? = 125 kilobytes per
page, and let's assume that you're app is serving 30 req/second.

30req/sec x 125kb page = 3,750 kb/sec = 3.75 MB/sec

=> 3.75 MB/sec x 60 sec/minute x 60minutes/hour x 24 hours/day =
324,000 MB/day = 324 GB/day

So 30 req/sec is 324 GB of network bandwidth out per day; in a 30 day
month it's 9720 GBs or 9.72 TBs or 30Mbps constant.

Is that at about where you'll be? Is this one mongrel process you're
talking about?

Now that's also a different issue from being "much quicker for
users", that's page latency not req/second throughput.

- Jason