[Mongrel] Problems with mongrel dying

Zed A. Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Tue Oct 31 17:36:12 EST 2006

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 12:48:02 -0700
Robert Vogel <robert at kitchendemocracy.org> wrote:

> Hi
> One of the two mongrel processes has died in the middle of the night
> four times in the past 9 days, and I need help debugging this.
> Each time the symptoms are the same:

Really, quick, but upgrade to the pre-release and then tell me if you still get these:

sudo gem install mongrel --source=http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/releases

If it does not fix the problem (remember, it's random so let it run in production for a while), then turn on USR1 logging and watch for the rails action that is blocking things:

sudo killall -USR1 mongrel_rails

Otherwise, keep in mind that many many people use Mongrel without blocking problems, so you need to rule out anything non-standard you're using that can cause problems.  RMagick, frequent DNS calls, working with files or shared resources, are all main culprits.

http://safari.oreilly.com/0321483502 -- The Mongrel Book