[Mongrel] Question for Zed

Zed A. Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Sun Oct 29 01:54:55 EDT 2006

On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 21:23:08 -0400
"Wayne E. Seguin" <wayneeseguin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Zed,
>
> I purchased your book and was reading through it. On page 25 it states:
>
> "Mongrel will give precedence to the parameter values in the config
> file over those in the command line."
>
> I was wondering why this is not the other way around, preference
> given to the command line options.

It's kind of a legacy thing about how the defaults were implemented.  Short version of the story was it was too hard to merge defaults and figure out what people mean.  I kept running into options that some folks felt should always be from the config file, others from the command line.

To keep it simple I just say use either or but not both.  And then wrote the -G option so generating the config files is super easy.  That seems to be the best approach.

http://www.zedshaw.com/
http://safari.oreilly.com/0321483502 -- The Mongrel Book
http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/