[Mongrel] shutdown listener

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 17:13:01 EDT 2006

On 10/26/06, Todd Fisher <todd.fisher at gmail.com> wrote:
> I start up an external process when I start my rails environment.  I
> currently do this in config/environment.rb  by forking a process and
> recording it's process id in log/foo.pid,  I'd like to kill that process
> when I close mongrel.  Is there an API in mongrel for responding to the
> shutdown event?  Or do I need to listen for the term signal and do my clean
> up that way?

Todd, you *shouldn't* be doing that.

Hook mongrel when stopping will require hack into mongrel_rails
script, and that will brake things when going from 1 process to a
cluster.

My suggestion will be using something like BackgrounDrb [1] and
control the start / stop actions from a init.d script maybe, but not
from rails or mongrel (what if it crash?)

Regards,