[Mongrel] rails app breaks after pg restart

Wilson Bilkovich wilsonb at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 11:51:38 EDT 2006

On 10/25/06, Jeroen Houben <jeroen at supercool.nl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Disclaimer: I'm pretty sure this isn't a mongrel issue, as I'm pretty
> sure I had the same problem back in the lighty-fastcgi days..
>
> After a postgres restart, my rails apps crash with this error:
>
> ActiveRecord::StatementInvalid (PGError: FATAL:  terminating connection
> due to a
> dministrator command
>          This probably means the server terminated abnormally
>          before or while processing the request.
> : SELECT count(*) AS count_all FROM matches ):
>
> Strange thing is, after a do a page refresh everything works again. It's
> like the connections are re-established and all is well. But I have to
> do it for each application that is running, really annoying.. Does
> anybody know what is going on here?

Yep. The Postgres connection adapter in Rails doesn't have the 'smart
reconnect' code that was added to the Oracle adapter.
The Oracle one contains a list of all the possible 'safe to reconnect'
OCI error codes, and just goes ahead and does it if it encounters one
of those.

It would probably be fairly straightforward to add that feature to the
postgres adapter.