[Mongrel] [ANN] Change In Versioning Policy

Jacob Atzen jacob at jacobatzen.dk
Wed Oct 25 11:38:15 EDT 2006

On Tue, Oct 24, 2006 at 06:43:03PM -0700, Zed A. Shaw wrote:
> I'm going to make a change to how Mongrel is versioned to help out folks packaging it and tracking it as a pre-release.  Previously I just did whatever was simplest, but now I'm going to do a slightly different approach.  This is open for comment and suggestions.
>
> Here's the new rules:
>
> 1) There are only official and pre-releases.  This doesn't change.
> 2) The version number is only 3 digits:  X.Y.Z
> 3) The pre-releases will change the Z number for each release.
> 4) The official releases will change the Y number and reset the Z number to 0.

Maybe I don't understand what is meant by pre-release, but I have a few
issues:

- If a bugfix is needed for 0.4.0 what would it be called? 0.4.1 does
  not seem to be a possibility as it may already have been released as
  pre-release to 0.5.

- Users might get confused about this scheme, as it contradicts the
  usual scheme were the Z value indicates a minor update, say 0.3.Z+1 is a
  minor update of 0.3.Z. With the proposed scheme I assume 0.3.1 could
  add features or break compability with 0.3.0.

- I am not convinced that the various packaging systems out there will
  be really happy about this scheme, though this is just a feeling.

That's just my 2 cents, hope you can use it.

--
Cheers,
- Jacob Atzen