[Mongrel] Segmentation bug - file_column?

Cameron Booth cameron at theworkinggroup.ca
Thu Oct 19 12:42:50 EDT 2006

On 19-Oct-06, at 3:11 AM, Zed A. Shaw wrote:

>> Hi there everybody,
>>
>> We're having mongrel processes slowly die on us, with a segmentation
>> fault. I've seen a few other people mention similar issues. Any info
>> or suggestions would be nice:
>
> <snip>
>
>> Do you think the problem is in file_column somewhere? The line it
>> mentions is where it is calling ImageMagick:
>
> Looks like a bug in ImageMagick that's probably made worse by
> something Mongrel does (threads or IO possibly).  I'd suggest that
> if you can't keep it running solid then hook up a monit process on
> the mongrel machine(s) to keep them going.  There's a monit sample
> in the mongrel gem's source under examples you can use as a start.

Thanks for the very quick response Zed. Setting up montoring makes
perfect sense... I think I was so embedded in trying to figure things
out it didn't cross my mind at all.

However, here's my next question - maybe I'm just not understanding
it properly, but I don't see the monit(or) script you mention in the /
examples dir of the mongrel-0.3.13.4 gem. There is
mongrel_simple_ctrl.rb and mongrel_simple_service.rb, but I'm not
sure that those are what you meant.

And as other people have mentioned Zed....thanks so much for all the
hard work you're putting into this!

Cameron