[Mongrel] Segmentation bug - file_column?

Cameron Booth cameron at theworkinggroup.ca
Wed Oct 18 17:20:59 EDT 2006

Hi there everybody,

We're having mongrel processes slowly die on us, with a segmentation
fault. I've seen a few other people mention similar issues. Any info
or suggestions would be nice:

Error:
	/var/www/apps/heritage/current/config/../vendor/plugins/file_column/
lib/magick_file_column.rb:7: [BUG] Segmentation fault
	ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [i386-linux]

Server:
	Railsmachine.com standard setup, I think it's CentOS.

Mongrel:

I just updated _yesterday_ to 0.3.13.4, before that I was on 0.3.13.3
but I wasn't getting this error. I was instead getting the very
occasional mongrel going way out of control and taking over enough
memory to force a hard reboot to get back to it. (which is why I
upgraded)

Do you think the problem is in file_column somewhere? The line it
mentions is where it is calling ImageMagick:

     def transform_with_magick
       if needs_transform?
         begin
           img = ::Magick::Image::read(absolute_path).first    <--
This is line 7

Thanks in advance for any ideas!!

Cameron