[Mongrel] Anyone have issues with the Comcast toolbar?

carmen _ at whats-your.name
Wed Oct 18 00:21:26 EDT 2006

On Tue Oct 17, 2006 at 11:04:08PM -0400, David H Dennis wrote:
> I have a Mongrel cluster balanced using 'balance' at http://
> www.amazing.com/ .
> This morning, I got reports from people saying they could not access
> the site.  They sent me a very odd looking error report, which
> appears to be from Comcast Cable.  The error page has Google ads in
> it that were associated with my domain.  (Until I put up my existing
> social networking site, I had a eccentric personal web page which
> talked about Mercedes-Benz automobiles and digital video, among other
> subjects; the ads were mainly Mercedes and digital video-related).
> The strange thing is that I asked them to do a nslookup, and they
> came up with my IP.  When I asked them to type the IP into their
> browser, the same error page came up (although I didn't ask them
> about the ads.)  However, pinging to the IP or web address works
> fine.  And if I telnet to port 80, I get a connection.
> The domain amazing.amazing.com, where I have my old personal site up,
> works normally.  It's served by Apache.  amazing.com is served by
> Mongrel.  This made me wonder if maybe the Comcast toolbar mangles
> requests in a way Mongrel doesn't like?
> The alternative is to think that Comcast cares enough about my still
> brand new low-traffic  web site to want to bother blocking it.
> The site is social networking and does not allow sexual material due
> to the terms of Google ads.  A guy came and posted some sex images
> which were promptly removed but I suppose it's possible they were
> noticed.
> Anyone else have similar issues, and if so, how did you work around
> them or find out what they were?

ive had a lot of issues running basic services for my own usage, on comcast. i mean stuff taht porbalty technically violates the TOS but has about as much functionality as the official-sanctioned 'internet is only WWW and email' clients.

stuff like all the ip addresses being in blackholes, so the only way you can send mail is if you forward thru comcast's smtp server as a relay.
stuff like setting  smb ports = 5190,139,445 in /etc/samba/smb.conf and //a/hd  /a      smbfs    port=5190,password=*** 0 0 in /etc/fstab since both of the default samba ports are blocked
stuff like, VOIP calls dont go through with bizarre SIP 'network congestion' errors even witho congestion, via multiple providers on both inbound DID and outbound calls (none thru their ridiculously expensive officially-sanctioned VOIP service, of course)
stuff like using more than 50% of your upstream bandwidth causing downstream to be capped to the same speed, on freeBSd or linux with no intermediary firewall/router
stuff lke getting in a nasty catch 22 situation where you cant grab an IP address if your MAC address changes, and you have to do a crazy reset-the-modem and dhclient dance until something works

as for comcast toolbar mangling your URL, thats a possibility, but i'd also look into apache. i'm convinced proxypass is unescaping my URLs, even though therse no explicit rule stating to do this (they contain http, then escaped versions of : and /s..

ngrep is your friend..
> Try retyping the URL in the browser address bar above. Or, search the
> Web.
> Search the Web:
> Did you mean: www.alazing.com?

i'd recommend using a DNS server that isn't comcasts, as well..

but i'm guessing that is implemented in the browser rather than smoething more evil..