[Mongrel] Anyone have issues with the Comcast toolbar?

David H Dennis david at amazing.com
Tue Oct 17 23:04:08 EDT 2006

I have a Mongrel cluster balanced using 'balance' at http://
www.amazing.com/ .

This morning, I got reports from people saying they could not access
the site.  They sent me a very odd looking error report, which
appears to be from Comcast Cable.  The error page has Google ads in
it that were associated with my domain.  (Until I put up my existing
social networking site, I had a eccentric personal web page which
talked about Mercedes-Benz automobiles and digital video, among other
subjects; the ads were mainly Mercedes and digital video-related).

The strange thing is that I asked them to do a nslookup, and they
came up with my IP.  When I asked them to type the IP into their
browser, the same error page came up (although I didn't ask them
about the ads.)  However, pinging to the IP or web address works
fine.  And if I telnet to port 80, I get a connection.

The domain amazing.amazing.com, where I have my old personal site up,
works normally.  It's served by Apache.  amazing.com is served by
Mongrel.  This made me wonder if maybe the Comcast toolbar mangles
requests in a way Mongrel doesn't like?

The alternative is to think that Comcast cares enough about my still
brand new low-traffic  web site to want to bother blocking it.

The site is social networking and does not allow sexual material due
to the terms of Google ads.  A guy came and posted some sex images
which were promptly removed but I suppose it's possible they were

Anyone else have similar issues, and if so, how did you work around
them or find out what they were?

Many thanks.

For reference, here's the text of the Comcast error message:

Sorry. We can't find www.amazing.com

Try retyping the URL in the browser address bar above. Or, search the

Search the Web:

Did you mean: www.alazing.com?

Used Mercedes-Benz SL 320
Find a Used Mercedes In Your Area 400,000 Listings - Updated Daily.
Mercedes Benz E300dt
Search Inventory, Get Warranty Info & More at the Official CPO Site!
Canon XH-G1
Find the Right Price! Compare Shops & Purchase Online - Quick & Easy.