[Mongrel] Mongrel can't handle some URLs that IE6 sends

Eden Li eden.li at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 19:07:25 EDT 2006

Hmm.  It looks like a plugin can't handle this.  The plugin I tested
never got its process method called.

Tracing through lib/mongrel.rb, the HttpParser#execute method throws
an HttpParserError before it has a chance to pass the request off to
the plugin.  Looks like this'll have to be patched in the Ragel or C
code.

FWIW, the URI parsing libraries of both Perl and Python, which claim
to be RFC compliant, parse these out 'properly' without throwing an
error.

Also, from rfc2396:

   The angle-bracket "<" and ">" and double-quote (") characters are
   excluded because they are often used as the delimiters around URI in
   text documents and protocol fields.

Which makes sense from the standards point of view, but if the request
has already gotten to your server, it shouldn't barf on it.