[Mongrel] Mongrel can't handle some URLs that IE6 sends

Eden Li eden.li at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 11:56:44 EDT 2006

IE6 happily sends unsafe* characters unencoded if you've typed them
into the URL bar of your IE6 window.  This could happen if you copy &
paste a URL from an email or web page.

Mongrel doesn't seem to handle these properly.  In 0.3.13.3 it would
print out something like:

   Sun Oct 15 23:05:38 CST 2006: BAD CLIENT (192.168.1.2): Invalid
HTTP format, parsing fails.

0.3.13.5 seems to ignore the request altogether (not even debug logs
say anything).

It seems other web servers like LighTPD handle requests like this
without issue.  Shouldn't mongrel follow suit?  It isn't standard and
IE7 seems to have fixed this, but IE6 is still a large chunk of the
browser market, and I'd like for my users to get something more
meaningful than an IE error page if they've accidentally copied
something out of an email incorrectly.

If there won't be a patch for Mongrel, is there some way I can get
LighTPD/pen to escape the request on Mongrel's behalf?

* According to rfc2068: unsafe = CTL | SP | <"> | "#" | "%" | "<" | ">"