[Mongrel] Mongrel HTTP Header Problem

Zed A. Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Thu Oct 12 08:01:30 EDT 2006

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 09:51:00 +0200
Aleksandar Lazic <al-mongrelusers at none.at> wrote:

> Hi,
> On Mit 11.10.2006 17:17, Zed A. Shaw wrote:
> >On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 16:06:34 +0100
> >"Michael Parkin" <michaelparkin at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> ...with a carriage return between each line Mongrel, it seems, cannot
> >> handle the line breaks in the header and with this header present
> >> returns an internal server error '500'.
> >>
> >> Looking at RFC 2616 it seems that whitespace such as this _is_
> >> allowed in the header block. Section 4.2 says "Header fields can be
> >> extended over multiple lines by preceding each extra line with at
> >> least one SP or HT" - which is exactly what Pound does. Therefore, I
> >> think the problem may be with Mongrel.
> >
> >That is a horrible bastardization of the RFC and I'd consider it an
> >abuse of the headers, especially since only Pound does this out of
> >*all* the HTTP clients people have used.  I'd almost tell them to screw
> >off on principle (especially since they can encode this without the
> >newlines).
> Let's look at http://www.and.org/texts/server-http, I think it's a nice
> conclusion of the rfc.

Yeah, too bad guys like me who don't have the baking of 400 such billion dollar companies get any say in these things.  As I've said millions of times before, just because the damn RFC says it's allowed doesn't mean people should be allowed to do it.  Just nasty.

Then again, I also said that it's a simple fix as long as I have a good test case.