[Mongrel] [Slightly OT] Do you use virtualization in production ?

Ezra Zygmuntowicz ez at brainspl.at
Wed Oct 4 14:21:34 EDT 2006

On Oct 4, 2006, at 8:14 AM, JDL wrote:

> On 10/3/06, Ezra Zygmuntowicz <ez at brainspl.at> wrote:
>> Hey Joe-
>> On Oct 3, 2006, at 6:29 PM, Joe Ruby wrote:
>>> Hey Ezra,
>>> What other gains do you get with virtualizing?
>>> Also, would Xen/virtualizing make these easier?
>>> - restoring root compromised servers
>> Yup, you can take snapshots of a VM and restore back to that point in
>> time without a fuss. Of course you have to set this up and its up to
>> you how often you take snapshots is up to you.
>>> - transferring everything from an old to new server --
>> Yup its pretty much just a few command lines to move a VM from one
>> physical box to another physical box *while its running*
> OK, I'll take this a bit further off topic.  Ezra, do you plan to
> cover Xen in Rails Deployment?
> Also, the blurb on the Pragmatic site indicates that the book is going
> to focus on lighttpd.  Is that still the case, or is the description
> out-of-date?
> -- James

The description is out of date. I will of course cover lighty but I
will also focus on ngxin and apache2.2 as fornt ends and mongrels as
back ends. Although I will cover fcgi as well just to cover the
bases. I do cover working on your own VPS but I will not be going
into details about configuring Xen itself as it is outside the scope
of the book. But who knows maybe in the future or 2.0 or the book I
will cover setting up your own Xen environment. I will also post some
Xen tutorials on my blog once I get some free time(which could be any
year now ;-).