[Mongrel] [Slightly OT] Do you use virtualization in production ?

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 23:29:33 EDT 2006

On 10/3/06, Joe Ruby <joeat303 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hey Ezra,
> What other gains do you get with virtualizing?
> Also, would Xen/virtualizing make these easier?
> - restoring root compromised servers
> - transferring everything from an old to new server --
> I do this periodically and cringe at having to
> reinstall everything
My guess is like Xen, like parallels or VMWave offer a "rollback" or
readonly functionality. for the virtual machine hard disk.

I have setup many times with parallels our OS disk in read only (or
discard changes mode) and our data with rollback functionality.

But guess xen like vmware have some snapshots capabilities which
simplifies everything (like revert to yesterday snapshot).

But Ezra could get offer better info about Xen.