[Mongrel] Mongrel woes fixed

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 22:49:35 EDT 2006

On 10/3/06, Jeremy Kemper <jeremy at bitsweat.net> wrote:
> On 10/3/06, Jacob Atzen <jacob at jacobatzen.dk> wrote:
> > I'm still not sure why I'm the only one seeing these problems. Maybe
> > others are seing them too and just not being aware of them. Maybe they
> > only show up when the Mongrels gets severely loaded. Maybe I'm simply
> > the only one butchering poor Mongrels for fun in my spare-time? ;-)
> I see the same behavior with a handler that does some slow, blocking IO
> (resolving symlinks on heavily loaded NFS servers). I worked around it by
> using more Mongrels instead of more worker threads and by backgrounding one
> long-running task which could safely send an HTTP response before
> completing.
> It'd be cool if Mongrel forked itself (up to a max # of processes) to
> alleviate the issues that arise with Rails  handler locking and with
> blocking IO due to Ruby's green threads. Mongrel cluster could work but it
> feels like overkill when forking would do the job with zero config (minus
> Win32).

Jeremy, I'm working on a improved mongrel_service (for win32) that
will handle the mongrel_cluster scenario in a simplified way.

Still, configuration will be required, but each time you need to
change the parameters for your mongrels, wouldn't need to
remove/install cycle, just change the config file and restart the

Also, with the new schema will get child process monitoring and re
spawning if they are needed.

(Still, don't know how to differentiate a sleeping-dead-zombie mongrel
from the rest, but guess will figure it out ;)