[Mongrel] [Slightly OT] Do you use virtualization in production ?

Joe Ruby joeat303 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 3 21:29:43 EDT 2006

Hey Ezra,

What other gains do you get with virtualizing?

Also, would Xen/virtualizing make these easier?
- restoring root compromised servers
- transferring everything from an old to new server --
I do this periodically and cringe at having to
reinstall everything

> 	Yeah now that I have been way into Xen, I wouldn't
setup a new
> server without it. Even if you only have one server
I would put Xen
> on it, even if its just one huge VM that fills the
entire server. The
> performance overhead of Xen is about 5% compared to
raw hardware
> which is really nothing compared to  the gains you
get by virtualizing.
> 	It makes it so much easier to scale later. Move
your VM's from
> machine to machine. And separate concerns into their
own VM's.
> Seriously I can't recommend it enough. We have built
our entire new
> business on top of Xen. http://engineyard.com . Its
only for ruby/
> rails hosting and everything runs in Xen. Xen is
very cool stuff.
> -Ezra

Do You Yahoo!?