[Mongrel] [Slightly OT] Do you use virtualization in production ?

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 20:23:47 EDT 2006

On 10/2/06, Ezra Zygmuntowicz <ezmobius at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Oct 2, 2006, at 4:40 AM, Thibaut Barrère wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > I've been using parallels, vmware player, or virtual pc (did not
> > try xen yet) for development, testing and experimenting with new
> > platforms (and I must say I love them - copy paste a few files, and
> > I have a clean deployment box etc)
> >
> > Since the RailsConf and various talks I've seen (like Jason
> > Hoffmann's http://svn.joyent.com/public/JasonHoffman-
> > EuroRailsConf.pdf , or James Duncan Davidson), I'm willing to apply
> > the benefits to production.
> >
> > is there anyone here actually using virtualization techniques in
> > production ? (even for single machine setups?)
> >
> > any feedback would be most welcome!
> >
> > thanks!
> >
> > Thibaut
>

>         Yeah now that I have been way into Xen, I wouldn't setup a new
> server without it. Even if you only have one server I would put Xen
> on it, even if its just one huge VM that fills the entire server. The
> performance overhead of Xen is about 5% compared to raw hardware
> which is really nothing compared to  the gains you get by virtualizing.
>
>         It makes it so much easier to scale later. Move your VM's from
> machine to machine. And separate concerns into their own VM's.
> Seriously I can't recommend it enough. We have built our entire new
> business on top of Xen. http://engineyard.com . Its only for ruby/
> rails hosting and everything runs in Xen. Xen is very cool stuff.

Ezra, one thing that still bug me is IP handling. If i have a live
server and decide to do a hot migration to a newer box, how it
manages, and how much downtime will get to the IP switches ges
notified of the migration? (in ms resolution)

Or i'm forced to have a load balancer that handle the problem for me?