[Mongrel] [Slightly OT] Do you use virtualization in production ?

Ezra Zygmuntowicz ezmobius at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 14:10:02 EDT 2006

On Oct 2, 2006, at 4:40 AM, Thibaut Barrère wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I've been using parallels, vmware player, or virtual pc (did not
> try xen yet) for development, testing and experimenting with new
> platforms (and I must say I love them - copy paste a few files, and
> I have a clean deployment box etc)
>
> Since the RailsConf and various talks I've seen (like Jason
> Hoffmann's http://svn.joyent.com/public/JasonHoffman-
> EuroRailsConf.pdf , or James Duncan Davidson), I'm willing to apply
> the benefits to production.
>
> is there anyone here actually using virtualization techniques in
> production ? (even for single machine setups?)
>
> any feedback would be most welcome!
>
> thanks!
>
> Thibaut

	Yeah now that I have been way into Xen, I wouldn't setup a new
server without it. Even if you only have one server I would put Xen
on it, even if its just one huge VM that fills the entire server. The
performance overhead of Xen is about 5% compared to raw hardware
which is really nothing compared to  the gains you get by virtualizing.

	It makes it so much easier to scale later. Move your VM's from
machine to machine. And separate concerns into their own VM's.
Seriously I can't recommend it enough. We have built our entire new
business on top of Xen. http://engineyard.com . Its only for ruby/
rails hosting and everything runs in Xen. Xen is very cool stuff.

-Ezra