[Mongrel] [Slightly OT] Do you use virtualization in production ?

Sean Clark SClark at pellahealth.org
Mon Oct 2 10:09:05 EDT 2006

Virtualization rocks!  No problems in our production environment.  I strongly suggest it for any website, unless you're hosting Google or Yahoo.

We're using VMware's ESX 3.0  in production.  I have 37 production VMs spread across 4 ESX3 hosts.  We also have a SAN which allows us to VMotion (hot migrate) running VMs from server to server.  Most of my VMs are Windows but I do have 3 linux VMs with CentOS 4.3 running pound and mongrel, as well as MySQL.  Everything is running very well.  If you don't have the cash for ESX 3, you might consider running VMware Server.  VMWare Server is free, but the performance is less and you can't get as many VMs on a single box and no Vmotion :-(.

The biggest benefit we see from the VMware is Disaster Recovery options available.  I also love using the snapshot feature prior to major software upgrades.  If the upgrade introduces major errors, you can then shutdown the VM, revert to the earlier snapshot.

The one problem I had initially was with time keeping.  The below link is what fixed my problems.

KB Doc ID: 1420 is recommended reading for time sync issues with Linux guest on vmware. http://kb.vmware.com/vmtnkb/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=1420&sliceId=SAL_Public

In addition to instructions in the above KB document, I also needed to add a one line script to  /etc/cron.hourly/,  "ntpdate myntpserver.mydomain.com".  This corrects the remaining 1-2 seconds that I'm ahead each hour.