[Mongrel] Sharing Mongrel Log Files on SAN Storage

Zed A. Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Thu Nov 30 15:01:04 EST 2006

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 10:36:47 -0800
Steven Hansen <runner at berkeley.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
> My department has a SAN and I'm wondering if it is safe to have all of
> my mongrel's share log files stored on the SAN.
> More specifically, we have 4 machines, each running a couple of mongrel
> processes.  Right now each machine has its own set of log files for
> mongrel.  However, I am thinking that it might be better to put the log
> files on the SAN and let all the mongrels on all the different machines
> share 1 set of log files.  I'd be interested to gets some feedback from
> other mongrelians on whether this is a good idea or a bad idea and why.

I should probably just make this the norm, but I advocate that people setup pid and log files separate for each port they have, and probable each machine:port combination.  This makes it easier to isolate one mongrel's stuff and to track what is happening to a particular instance.

If you do this it also means you can share it all you like.