[Mongrel] [ANN] Mongrel Service 0.3.1, basic process monitoring

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 12:17:30 EST 2006

Hello Folks,

I tried create a valid gem repository under windows without luck
(rubygems show problem with CRLF/LF line endings between *nix and

Anyway, I've uploaded a new gem to my webpage:

Whats new?

Beside the things added in previous announcement [1], this version add
basic process monitoring.

What that means?

If for some reason the mongrel process (also a ruby process) suddenly
dies (maybe a runtime error), the service will automatically re-create
a new process.

So, in intervals of 5 seconds, if your process die, it will be recreated.

That will reduce the uptime problems of your applications, right?

Later this weekend will add the cluster capability, so Windows no
longer envy users running *nix or OSX ;-)

Oh, BTW, if you don't want to add a service in windows, you could
"simulate" it using console command:

mongrel_service console single -c "c:/path/to/my/rails/app" -p 4000 -e

Please, all the folks on Windows environment try the latest build of
the gem and report problems (if any was found).

Luis Lavena
Multimedia systems
is worthwhile.
Vince Lombardi