[Mongrel] Mongrel Cluster init.d problems

Jamie Orchard-Hays jamie at dangosaur.us
Thu Nov 30 09:34:03 EST 2006

Make sure the paths needed are available at boot. I had a similar
problem on FreeBSD and was helped out by Andrew Bennett. Here's what
he had to say:

Hey Jamie,

Yeah, I found that out after using my own script for a while.  It is
caused by the way mongrel_cluster starts each of the mongrel servers.
It actually calls the command line "mongrel_rails start ..." on each
of the specified directories.  However, when FreeBSD starts up, the
PATH hasn't been set correctly yet, so calling "mongrel_rails" results
in a "not found" error because "/usr/local/bin" hasn't been added to
the PATH yet.

I just cheated and added the following to /usr/local/etc/rc.d/

I added the surrounding lines so you can tell where I'm talking about.
I'm not sure if there is a better way to do this, but it works for