[Mongrel] Mongrel as Win32 service for a camping app?

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 12:35:08 EST 2006

On 11/29/06, DeeJay <smartgpx at gmail.com> wrote:

> As subject line, basically...
>
> http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/docs/win32.html describes how
> to install Service
> support for Mongrel on Win32. But it seems to be focussed on providing a way
> of running Rails apps.

My whole idea (actually, my POV) with mongrel is rip mongrel_rails and
create a unique, unified "mongrel" command, + mongrel_service to offer
win32 services for a plain, framework agnostic mongrel.

The actual version of mongrel_services (0.1) validates if you're
trying to create a service for somethign that isn't a rails
application.

> If it is possible at all, can you provide hints or refer to documentation
> that
> explains how to run apps that use other frameworks, like Camping, as
> Services
> please? Is it written up online, or in the "Mongrel:SDE" shortcut book?

You could code your service directly using win32utils service gem
(please read the docs at their site).

http://rubyforge.org/projects/win32utils

and docs:

http://rubyforge.org/docman/?group_id=85

GemServer Service Tutorial and Instiki Service Tutorial.

> (Perhaps this is one of the fruits to be expected of the win32 work Zed is
> engaged
> in right now?)

Because every framework "start" quite different from how rails start
things up. Mongrel should implement a way to auto-sense based on the
params and the directory structure which framework should it load.

Will be excellent to have that, but is a huge task and the frameworks
(camping, rails, IOWA, merb) differ a lot.

This could be possible, but not in the near future (maybe for a 1.1
release, but not too close of 1.0).

Regards and good week,

--
Luis Lavena